We simply cannot be satisfied with only developing the city on top of the city. We must also build the city under the city.
Groundscape is a neologism resulting from the combination two words: ground and landscape.
As a new field of research for architects, designers, and urban planners, this unheard-of form of subterranean architecture explores and investigates the universe of possibilities that lie beneath the surface of our cities.
The idea of Groundscape proposes a different way of experiencing the earth underground by offering a resilient, responsible, aesthetic, and durable response to the many urban challenges our cities face today.
Founded by prof. Dominique Perrault in 2013 at the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology Lausanne (EPFL) the SubLab is an academic Think Tank and multidisciplinary research platform dedicated to the investigation of the underside of our cities.
Alongside SubLab instructors Richard Nguyen, Ignacio Ferrer Rizzo, and Juan Fernandez Andrino you will participate in an unprecedented design oriented online course, where you will acquire the fundamental skills necessary for the conception of your own underground project.
Since 1985 Prof. Dominique Perrault has designed more than 55 Groundscape projects over a period of almost 30 years.
What will you learn
- Discover the beauty, potential and richness of the subterranean territory.
- Revert the negative perception associated with the infrastructure
- Enlarge your vision as an urban actor
- Become acquainted with indispensable design tools needed for designing underground.
- Apprehend essential urban strategies necessary to intervene in the Groundscape territory.
- You will be introduced to basic constructive procedures needed to excavate into the ground
- Implement new and specific design methods
- Develop your own Groundscape project
- Participate in an architecture competition